Seek a Peaceful Solution to Your Legal Troubles CONTACT ME TODAY

Contempt and Enforcement Mediation in Southwest Florida

Disputes over family law agreements can be challenging on so many levels and lead to costly court processes. At Florand Mediation, LLC, the goal is to help you navigate these complex issues and find a resolution without resorting to a contested trial. By getting help from a mediator, you can achieve a mutually beneficial outcome while minimizing the potential negative consequences that may arise from contempt or enforcement proceedings.

Whether your conflict involves an asset division agreement, a parenting plan, or any other established family law arrangement, mediation may be your best path forward.

Florand Mediation, LLC is dedicated to providing comprehensive mediation services to individuals and families throughout Southwest Florida. Certified mediator and arbitrator Christina Florand proudly serves clients across the communities of Sarasota, Venice, Bradenton, Nokomis, Osprey, North Port, Port Charlotte, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and Tampa. Reach out today to schedule an initial consultation and learn about your options.

Understanding Contempt in Florida

Contempt refers to the failure to comply with court orders or agreements. For family law, a party will be found in contempt when they:                                     

  1. have a clearly defined court order that states obligations and/or requirements,  

  1. have the ability to comply with the order, and 

  1. willfully refused to comply with the order.  

In Florida, contempt can arise from various family law situations, including but not limited to: 

  • failure to pay child support

  • failure to pay alimony or spousal support 

  • failure to abide by court-approved parenting plans or visitation schedules

  • failure to divide marital property as agreed upon

  • failure to comply with any other family law agreement

Possible Enforcement Measures

Once someone is found to be in contempt, certain enforcement measures may be pursued to encourage compliance with the court order or agreement. Some of these enforcement measures may include any of the following: 

  • wage garnishment or income withholding 

  • seizure or attachment of assets 

  • suspension of driver's license or professional license 

  • liens on property or real estate 

  • contempt sanctions, such as community service or mandatory counseling 

Possible Penalties for Contempt

Depending on the severity of the violation, contempt can result in both civil and criminal penalties. When someone is found in contempt, the court may impose a range of penalties to encourage compliance with court orders or agreements. These penalties may include: 

  • Fines or monetary sanctions: The court can impose financial penalties on the non-compliant party as a consequence of their contemptuous behavior. These fines or monetary sanctions serve as a deterrent and aim to ensure future compliance. 

  • Modifications to existing court orders: For cases involving repeated or severe contempt, the court may modify existing court orders to further restrict or limit certain privileges or rights of the non-compliant party. These can include changes to their child custody arrangements, visitation schedules, or financial obligations. 

  • Probation: In some instances, the court may place the non-compliant party on probation. This involves setting specific conditions or requirements that must be met during a designated period. Failure to comply with the terms of probation can lead to further penalties. 

  • Jail time: In severe cases of contempt, where other enforcement measures have failed or the violation is particularly egregious, the court may sentence the party to jail time. Incarceration is typically seen as a last resort and reserved for instances where all other methods of enforcement have proven ineffective. 

It’s very important to note that penalties for contempt will vary based on the specific circumstances of each situation. When you choose Christina Florand as your mediator, you choose a professional who’s committed to helping you achieve a favorable settlement without having to pursue a contested trial and risk these harsher consequences.

How a Mediator Can Help

Mediation provides an alternative approach to resolving contempt and enforcement disputes. As an experienced mediator, Christina Florand can assist you in the following ways: 

  • Facilitating communication: Mediators create a safe and neutral environment for open dialogue between the parties involved, helping them understand each other's perspectives and concerns. 

  • Exploring solutions: Mediators help identify potential solutions that address the underlying issues, enabling the parties to reach a mutually acceptable agreement. 

  • Preserving relationships: Mediation focuses on finding common ground and promoting collaboration, which can help maintain amicable relationships between the parties involved, especially when ongoing cooperation is necessary. 

  • Confidentiality: Mediation sessions are confidential, ensuring privacy and allowing parties to speak openly without fear of their statements being used against them in future legal proceedings. 

  • Cost and time efficiency: Mediation is often faster and more cost-effective than going to court, saving both time and money for all parties involved. 

No matter what, Christina Florand will work hard to steer you clear of overwhelming court procedures and help you come to a favorable, sustainable resolution. 

Take Control of Your Situation

Florand Mediation, LLC understands the complexities surrounding contempt and enforcement issues in family law matters. Southwest Florida mediator Christina Florand is dedicated to using her strengths and experiences to help you achieve a fair and mutually beneficial outcome without resorting to trial.

By collaborating directly with the other party, mediation also offers you the opportunity to maintain a significant relationship and minimize the potential consequences associated with contempt or enforcement proceedings. Ready to address your situation? Reach out today so we can set up a time to talk.